Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

New Product

Had a fantastic donation of high end slipcovers (probably shouldn't name names but the initials are WE) from my favorite recycling center director, Kathy Reed of Morgan Falls Reycling.  Some of the slipcovers are meant for outdoor furniture and are rubberized and therefore waterproof.

I was pleased to get the donation but frankly wondered what the hell I was going to do with dozens of slipcovers.

My sister-in-law Pascale actually gave me the idea of what to do with them, if indirectly and inadvertently.  She wanted a larger version of her son's toilet kit for traveling, and it occurred to me that this fabric would be perfect - charcoal gray fabric on the outside, waterproof lining on the inside.

I took a couple of sample pieces and stitched them together in a cross-hatch or diamond pattern, kind of like quilting but with no batting inside.  I added velcro along the top and a small handle on the side.  I decided to give it to my nephew so I machine-embroidered his initials on one side.

I'm very happy with the way it's turned out.  I posted this picture on etsy and sold one within a week or so.  Now I'm going to make some mini diaper-bags-to-go for my niece and her husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment